Selwyn Libraries - Membership
Conditions of membership
I and/or my dependent(s) have joined the library and accept responsibility for any items borrowed.
I agree to:
- The Conditions of Membership. These may change. Updated conditions will be available on the Selwyn Libraries website.
- Provide photo ID when I collect my card. I understand I need to be a Selwyn resident to join Selwyn Libraries.
- *Return all items borrowed from the library by their due date, in good condition.
- Let the library know if an item has been damaged – not mend items myself.
- Tell the library straight away if my card is lost or stolen, or if my contact details change.
- Pay charges, damages, replacement cost or processing fees incurred by my card.
Selwyn Libraries takes its privacy obligations very seriously. Libraries internationally take account of privacy and follow the guidelines set by IFLA (the International Federation of Library Associations). In New Zealand we also follow the provisions of the Privacy Act, 1993.
Our collection, use, and disclosure of your personal information adheres to the requirements of these documents. You can find details of your rights at the Office of the Privacy Commissioner (https://www.privacy.org.nz/).
Selwyn Libraries is part of Selwyn District Council. The Council’s privacy statement can be seen at: https://www.selwyn.govt.nz/home/site-details/privacy.
1. Your application for membership provides personal information about you to the Selwyn District Council. The Selwyn District Council collects that information to enable accurate records to be maintained as to the identity and contact details of library members, and for statistical purposes to record the use made of library material. In submitting this application for membership, you agree that the Selwyn District Council may use that information for the purposes of:
- Managing your library membership including the maintenance of your records, advising you of outstanding items, recovering outstanding fees and charges and;
- If you are under 16 years of age, contacting and discussing with your guarantor, parent or guardian any matters arising from your library membership.
2. The information may be given to other sections of Council apart from the library and also to a credit agency in the event that Selwyn District Council has to take action against you for recovery of any payments due and owing by you to Council in respect of your library membership.
3. You agree that library staff may contact you by post, email and telephone, including leaving automated telephone messages, and that the Selwyn District Council will not be liable for any other person being able to access any mail, email or telephone messages sent to you.
4. The personal information collected as part of the information provided in this application for membership will be held by the Selwyn District Council. You can usually see the personal information we hold by logging into our catalogue website (https://selwyn.kotui.org.nz). You have the right to access that information and request changes to it at any time during normal business hours.
5. By law, you do not have to provide the personal information requested. However, if you do not supply the information requested on the application for membership form, then the Selwyn District Council library may not be able to process your application or provide you with membership
We also maintain a history of your reading over a three-year period for your convenience. This record is available to you when you log in to our catalogue website (https://selwyn.kotui.org.nz) or when you ask a staff member for this information. This feature can be disabled if you ask.
Selwyn Libraries website - external links
Our websites contain links to other sites. These links are provided for your convenience. We can’t guarantee that they are kept up to date and we are not responsible for their privacy practices. Please note that this includes eBook and other vendors who may be overseas and are not subject to the same privacy provisions that apply in New Zealand. We do, of course attempt to deal only with reputable vendors.